The decorative church was designed by Jacob Ahrenberg. The church is located in the same place, where the first church of Kajaani was built in 1656. The first church was destroyed by the Russians around the same time as they destroyed the Kajaani Castle in 1716. The second church was built between 1734 and 1735 by Grels Nordling and served the parish for 160 years. The old church fell into disrepair and was demolished in 1895.
The altarpiece was made by T.G. Tuhkanen.
Thee church is open on summertime.