The Eino Leino House is a memorial house on the shore of Lake Paltajärvi built to resemble Eino Leino’s birth home, Hövelö. Hövelö was originally a croft where Elias Lönnrot lived from 1834 to 1835. The Lönnbohm family moved to Paltaniemi in 1859 and extended the croft into a house. Old Hövelö decayed and was eventually demolished. The memorial house was inaugurated in 1978, when 100 years had passed since the birth of Eino Leino.
The house is open to tourists in the summer and upon agreement in the winter. The house has a summer café, a book exhibition and a photo exhibition about Eino Leino’s and Elias Lönnrot’s lives. The Eino Leino photo exhibition also contains texts in English and German. There is a photography or visual art exhibition in the nearby Lystinurmi. The building’s outdoor area has a Leino monument, an open view to the Paltaselkä stretch of Lake Oulujärvi and the Paltaniemi summer theatre in the summer.
The Eino Leino memorial house is ideal for individual tourists and groups. Private tours subject to a fee are available as necessary. The Keisarin talli museum and the Paltaniemi old church are also located nearby.